We’ve been cooking up a storm getting ready for the kids to be home over the Holidays.
One of my go-to recipes is a faux lasagna with corn tortillas.
- Shredded Chicken
- Corn Tortillas
- Green Salsa (Tomato Sauce also works)
- Green Chilis (I usually use canned – a jar or two of roasted Red Peppers is also nice)
- Shredded Cheese (I usually use Old Cheddar)
- Yogurt (I usually use Greek – Crème fraîche or Sour Cream also work)
- Tomato Sauce (optional)
- Pour enough green salsa to cover the bottom of your dish
- Put down a layer of tortillas
- Spread out a layer of shredded chicken
- Next come the green chilis and yoghurt
- Spread a layer of shredded cheese
- Repeat at least two more times
- Finish with a layer of tortillas and top with more green salsa or tomato sauce
Cook in the oven at 350 degrees for about an hour (you might start with the casserole covered in tinfoil, then finish uncovered).
I usually prepare my own chicken in a slow cooker (8 hours on low). Save the broth for soup, then discard the bones and shred the chicken.
You can quick fry the tortillas in a flat pan for about a minute per side
You can make your own green salsa by quick boiling some tomatillos and a jalapeño in a little water. Put them in a blender with some cilantro and garlic. (Onion is also a nice addition.)